CAUTION: De-cluttering may cause extreme happiness AND a bigger bank account!
Since each child cycles through a new wardrobe every six months, it’s no surprise that you feel overwhelmed. Now’s the time to gather all the stuff your kids no longer wear or use and get ready to make money on all that unused stuff!
So, where do you start? Let’s tackle one room at a time!
- Attic or basement – Pull out any clothing stored in tubs along with larger items such as children’s furniture, mattresses, baby gear, and other bulky items like pack n’plays, bassinets, and exersaucers.
- Kid’s bedroom – Scour your kid’s closets and drawers. In addition to clothing and shoes, don’t forget about accessories like belts, ties, tights, and socks. Gather up area rugs, picture frames, lamps, wall hangings, and other decorative items.If you’re cleaning out the nursery, be sure to include your glider and footstool, boppy, baby monitor, infant carrier, humidifier, and crib toys.
- Mom’s closet – The kids can’t have all the fun! Tackle your own closet to gather your best maternity wear, nursing bras, nursing pj’s and pillows.
- Linen closet – On your way to the bathroom, take a peek in the linen closet. Do you have crib sheets, hooded towels, character beach towels, washcloths and the like? Throw them in the JBF “sell” box.
- Bathroom – Yes, there is $$$ lurking in the bathroom! Potty seats, Diaper Genies, wipe warmers, unopened diapers, infant tubs, bath seats, bath toys, and step stools are sale worthy.
- Living room – Check for DVDs, gaming systems, and video games that still have value and are in good working order. Double check your DVDs for scratches, and make sure a disc is inserted in each case!
- Mud room or hall closet – Grab those coats, boots, snow pants, mittens, scarves and things you have put away for a rainy (or snowy) day.
- Kitchen – Children’s utensils, dishes, sippy cups, bottles, and lunch boxes all have excellent resale value. Let’s not overlook the high chair, Bumbo and booster seat.
- Playroom – This is the Holy Grail for consignment sellers! Open every toy box, search under every table and chair for games, puzzles, books, toys, arts and crafts, dress up items, and costumes. If you are holding on to extra party supplies like invites, table cloths or favors, throw them into the sell bucket as well.
- Garage – Get Dad into the action and reclaim your garage. Clear out the ride-on toys, playhouse, car seat, swing, sandbox, scooters, bikes, sports and camping equipment, including cleats, bike helmets and don’t forget strollers!